I mean, come on. Who even needs champagne?
If you're very much on #teamprosecco, and lean towards the fancy side when it comes to a casual drink with friends, then we're more than on your side. That's why we wanted to figure out exactly where the budget prosecco destinations are across the UK.
vouchercloud analysed five city-centre pubs across the 20 biggest cities in the UK to find out the average price of a glass of prosecco. In fact, we used Wetherspoons as the marker for consistency, digging up the price of a glass of prosecco using their remote ordering app.
The average price for a glass of prosecco? £3.94.
However, the standard price you can expect to pay is £3.85, with 14 cities enjoying this pretty middling price. There are six unlucky UK cities that will find themselves paying over the odds for fizz, however:
Average Price Per Glass
Unsurprisingly, London tops the tables for priciest prosecco, paying a whopping 25% more than the standard UK price. Manchester comes next, paying 13% more and Cardiff pays 4% more.
Perhaps what is surprising is that large cities like Bristol, Liverpool and Birmingham enjoy the standard price, while those in the normally sensibly-priced Welsh capital find themselves paying 4% more, while Scottish revellers will find a price with a 2.5% premium in Edinburgh..
The good news? If you’ll be going out in Birmingham, Glasgow, Sheffield, Bradford, Liverpool, Bristol, Wakefield, Nottingham, Leicester, Sunderland, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Coventry, Brighton or Hull, then you can expect to pay £3.85 for your glass of the fizzy stuff.
If you're less on the fancy side and prefer your prosecco out of a mug in the comfort of your own home, then we've also got you covered.
See below the best value prosecco by retailer, with a particular focus on your favourite supermarkets:
Best Value Prosecco by Retailer
- Aldi: Castellore Prosecco Spumante - £1 per glass
- ASDA: Prosecco Extra Dry - £1 per glass
- Iceland: Onbrina Prosecco Frizzante - £1.08 per glass
- Lidl: Allini Asti Spumante / Allini Prosecco Frizzante - 92p per glass
- Marks & Spencers: M&S Prosecco - £1.67 per glass
- Morrisons: Bella Luna Prosecco Doc Spumante - £1.04 per glass
- Ocado: Waitrose Prosecco DOC - £1.32 per glass
- Sainsbury’s: Sainsbury's Prosecco Frizzante - £1 per glass
- Tesco: Bella Cucina Prosecco - £1.04 per glass
- Waitrose: Calle d'oro Prosecco DOC - £1.22 per glass
Figures taken from five Wetherspoons pubs in central locations in each city across the UK, with prices derived from the remote ordering function on the Wetherspoons App.